Saturday 17 July 2010

Where are you?


Do you ever feel as though you've been hiding fom the world? Or somehow lost yourself along the way?

Last week I had a meeting with a potential client to see how I could help some of their business managers. One of the people at the meeting was a woman who I'd met several times before and who had always been a very 'colourful' character. My memories of her included her bright quirky clothes, her unusual shoes and how spirited and lively she was!

This week though I was really quite suprised to see that she was wearing a plain white shirt, conservative black suit and the most classic black stillettos ever. She also seemed extremely serious and none of the personality I remembered shone through at all.

I found myself wondering 'where are you?'

And then I remembered how I used to be many years ago while working for a large organisation. Wanting to be taken seriously by my male colleagues there was certainly a time when I took it, and myself, far too seriously. I never quite knew what to wear, how to have my hair or even how to be myself in a culture that seemed to expect something else.

I know this can be a common dilemma for women in business these days. I know some women who even use different names in work and outside work. I also know that many men, aswell as women, don't feel free to fully be themselves. And that many of us somehow lose our sense of self along this journey called life.

So this post today is really a reminder to Be who you really are.

It's only when we allow ourselves to be who we naturally are that we get to enjoy true peace of mind, clarity, and wellbeing. It's only then that we can be really authentic and tap into our inner wisdom and personal power. And it's only then that we can truly connect with others in a meaningful, honest and credible way.

If you want to get back in touch with your personal essence and uniqueness take a few moments to reflect on the following fun questions.
  • If you were a party, what kind of party would you be?
  • If you were a vehicle, what kind of vehicle would you be?
  • If you were a holiday, what kind of holiday would you be?
  • If you were a home, what kind of home would you be?
  • If you were your ideal clothes, what kind of clothes would you be?

Now take a look at your answers. What stands out? What are the common themes? What does that say about you? How can you be and have more of this in your life?

And remember, 'To be yourself in a world that's constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment' ~ Emerson

Dx

No comments: